Sunday, July 15, 2007

Movie Corner


Another thing I've been doing out here is watching DVDs. One, they're super cheap; two, Jaspal generally has a lot of work to do during the day. Also, he's sick right now and can't talk.

Anyway, I watched Notes on a Scandal last night. Oh my God. SO incredible. Everyone in it deserved an award. Judi Dench's character is one of those I would love to play (or write). She has that Ursula the Sea Witch/Miss Hannigan quality that always gets me. Evil, yet pathetic.

I know the rest of the world has probably already seen it, but I'm generally late in the game when it comes to waching dramas, even Academy Award-nominated ones. But now that I'm on vacation in the land of cheap DVDs, who knows? I may even watch Dancer in the Dark again (just kidding -- just thinking about that movie makes me want to fling myself from a balcony, and Jaspal's apartment is on the 7th floor).

I also finally saw Me and You and Everyone We Know.
)) <> ((
forever.

On our way to pick up a pizza this evening, we caught an outdoor rock concert and chatted with a Tibetan monk from Dharamsala. Even a semi-blah Sunday can yield pleasant surprises.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yea, 'notes on a scandal' scared me. judi dench pulls off the creepy old lady really well. i really liked 'me, you and everyone we know' however ♥

Teacher me said...

This is Katie and Ocho coming from a Monday morning brunch. We are reading your blog and thinking of you, your pistachio cake and city self. Looks like you are having a wonderful trip! Can't wait to hear more when you return. Beware of leathery dutch men on your way home.

Hugs no bugs!

Anne said...

Yay, I'm glad you saw Notes on a Scandal. I do love a good histrionic lesbian melodrama (with a matching over-the-top Phillip Glass score). Judi Dench's narration is so delicious and awesomely written.

I hope Jaspal is healing from his Spider Flu!