Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Hot hot hot!

For a city that supposedly the coldest capital in the world, this town sure is hot. At least it's not humid, which is what we'll be dealing with when we get to Beijing.

I think the high was about 93 today, which I guess isn't that bad, but the sun is really strong. It makes my brain feel all melty.

I spent about an hour and a half in line at the Chinese consulate today trying to turn in Jaspal's visa request (I got mine in SF). We went a few days ago but the lovely, helpful, and friendly lady at the counter turned him down flatly and could only respond, "I don't know" to his questions. So today I went, hoping that I'd be luckier. It worked (she actually smiled!), but I had to stand in a looooooooong line.

So, a question for all you SATC fans out there -- you know that episode where Carrie goes out to the country to visit Aidan's cabin? I have a feeling that's what I'm in for in a few days (really, I feel like that already, and we haven't left the city yet). We'll be headed out to the country with friends from Boston, who are arriving tomorrow. I think I have the following things to look forward to: 30 hour car rides, no showers, bugs, dust, and some of the bumpiest roads on earth. Yee-haw! But, on the flipside, there's supposed to be some of the most beautiful scenery on earth. I'll let you know which has more of an impact on me when we return next week!

1 comment:

Bhuvana said...

Wow, I think a 93 degree day would make my brain feel all melty too. Though as you pointed out, 90+ degrees in the humidity would be worse.

Enjoy your roadtrip with K and MB! Can't wait to see the photos and hear your stories when you get back.