Thursday, July 12, 2007

Book Corner


I just wanted to recommend a great book to any of you who are searching for a good summer read: The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. It won the Booker Prize last year, so many of you may have already read it. I haven't finished it yet, so don't tell me what happens after chapter 40 if you have read it!

I'm trying hard to pace myself, but I can't put it down. It's set in a small mountain town on the border of India, near Darjeeling, and deals with teenage romance, post-colonial identity, rebel separatists, and much more. It's fabulous.

I also brought Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Robyn's recommendation), The Body Project, which I saw on Dani's Amazon wish list and finished on the plane, and six issues of the New Yorker. Hopefully I can stock up on English books when we get to Beijing. I'm hoping to find the last Harry Potter there, so I can keep up with the rest of the world!

3 comments:

Bhuvana said...

I LOVED this book - glad to hear you're enjoying it too. I also had trouble putting it down! I've also enjoyed her other books - have you read Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard?

Sanjay said...

glad you're getting your reading in! i want to borrow it from you when you get back!!!! soon. muah.

Anne said...

Wow, I just heard her on NPR this afternoon reading an excerpt from this book and I was going to ask you if you knew it! She was very interesting. I'm putting it on my list!