Saturday, June 30, 2007

On the streets of UB




Got out of the apartment yesterday afternoon and took a trip to register at the immigration office. Jaspal said this is normally a tedious affair (just like in the U.S.) but we got in and out pretty quickly.

We ate some Chinese food for lunch, supposedly vegetarian, but garnished with beef. I have a feeling I might have to break into a carnivorous lifestyle while I’m here at some point. The food was good though, and pretty spicy.

The weather here is hot and dry. My hair, which is wavy and poofy in San Francisco, has settled into straight and silky. Definitely a benefit of the dry climate.

The people on the street seem friendly, and aren’t prone to staring like they are in India. I met a girl from California last night who had visited India last year and she confirmed that fact (I think staring is one of India’s national pastimes, like cricket and paan-spitting). Luckily Jaspal seems fluent in Mongolian (to me, anyway) and is able to navigate everything for me.

Ocho, if you read this, a few things that ought to make you happy: 1) The first thing I ate when I got here was a slice of pistachio cake that Jaspal bought from a Japanese bakery nearby. 2) Last night, Jaspal invited some American friends over for dinner (mostly researchers and other Fulbrighters) and I taught them how to play SET! Not sure if it’s a total hit yet, but there was some enthusiasm, so I’ll keep trying. 3) I’m continuing the trend from our Turkey trip of trying to learn at least one new word a day. So far I know how to say: hello, yes, cute, milk, thank you, and very good.

The graffiti here is amusing, and laden with American hip-hop references. Some pictures here to illustrate some of the randomness I’ve seen.

That’s all for now. We’re off to a 4th of July party at the American embassy. Should be entertaining, but Jaspal says it’s the only event in Mongolia where you don’t get free alcohol. Leave it to the Americans to ruin a good time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw, cute pictures!

hope you have fun at the party!

Anonymous said...

I think jaspal should grow a beard to compliment the hair.

Anonymous said...

I think your next ExpoLit unit on hip-hop should include a study of America's biggest cultural export... Good thing you're documenting it; could you write this off as a business trip, perhaps? :)
Louisa

Bhuvana said...

Ooh, straight silky hair sounds good! Mine is always curly and poofy here in Boston, at least during the summers.

Glad to hear you arrived safely - good luck learning Mongolian and getting around town! Will you be staying in UB when Jaspal goes out on his research trips?

tater-tot said...

hi bhuvana,

i think i'll probably stay here, but we'll see how things go...

v